Body Touch Therapy
Have you noticed a sudden change in emotions? Or are you feeling more anxious than usual? A therapeutic touch session with us may be just what you need to improve your overall wellness. Here’s what you should know about therapeutic touch and its benefits for functional medicine.
What is Body Touch Therapy?
Body touch therapy, or therapeutic touch, is a form of functional medicine in which practitioners use gentle hand movements to restore the balance in energy that flows throughout your body. While some practitioners hold their hands slightly away from your body, others may use a delicate, yet direct touch during their sessions.
Body touch therapy is a non-invasive practice that follows the belief that energy flows throughout the body in an energy channel known as the biofield. A disruption or stagnation to your biofield can result in illness that manifests not just physically but also mentally and spiritually.
What Are the Benefits of Body Touch Therapy?
Therapeutic touch has been found to be especially helpful in patients with cancer and in relieving post-surgery pain. Several clinical studies and reviews have found that therapeutic touch offers several benefits. It can:
- Improve mood and decrease restlessness
- Reduce anxiety and fatigue
- Activate the parasympathetic nervous system
- Improve sleep quality
- Decrease pain, especially in patients with fibromyalgia and cancer
Most people who undergo touch therapy sessions report feeling more relaxed after them, which is why many opt for recurring sessions as a way of maintaining their overall physical and mental well-being.
What to Expect During a Body Touch Therapy Session
A therapeutic touch practitioner at Cary Disc Center will begin your first appointment by asking a series of questions about your current health, symptoms of illness, and any other concerns you may have. Wearing loose, comfortable clothing is recommended for each session. From there, your practitioner will ask you to comfortably sit or lie down on a treatment table, and your practitioner will begin using light hand movements either on or slightly above your body to get a sense of your energy biofield.
Most body touch therapy sessions are approximately 20 to 30 minutes in length and consist of the following stages:
- Centering, in which your practitioner uses breathing or meditative exercises to bring their awareness into the present moment
- Assessment of your biofield to find energy blockages
- Clearing your biofield of any disruptions to achieve complete wellness
- Evaluation of your emotions and how you’re feeling. Many patients report to feeling extremely relaxed after their touch therapy sessions
For more information about body touch therapy, contact Cary Disc Center at (847) 639-0010.