Female Hormone Imbalance
Have you recently been diagnosed with menopause? Or are you experiencing a decrease in libido, insomnia, or depression? A female hormone imbalance treatment session with us might be just what you need for overall wellness. Here's everything to know about functional medicine and its benefits for managing female hormone imbalances.
What is Female Hormone Imbalance?
Hormones such as estrogen, oxytocin, FSH, LH, and progesterone are considered female hormones that are responsible for the regulation of sexual development, mood, and metabolism. An increase or decrease in hormone levels leads to a hormone imbalance. Female hormone imbalance occurs due to a variety of reasons, including aging. As female patients age, the levels of hormones produced can fluctuate, leading to a decrease in reproductive capacity.
What Are the Causes and Symptoms of Female Hormone Imbalance?
Female hormone imbalance can occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- menopause, due to a decrease in levels of estrogen and progesterone caused as a result of aging
- diet, foods high in pesticides can affect hormone levels
- increased caffeine intake
You may experience the following symptoms, depending on the cause and severity of your levels of hormone imbalance:
- irregular menstruation
- polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- weight gain
- hair loss
- hot flashes
- vaginal dryness
- decrease in libido
- trouble sleeping
- increase in anxiety and depression
- increase in cholesterol levels
What to Expect During a Female Hormone Imbalance Treatment Session
If you've never had a female hormone imbalance treatment session, you might be wondering what to expect during your first appointment. A trained physician at Cary Disc Center will begin by asking you a series of in-depth questions to determine your current health status, including mental and emotional well-being. Your physician may also request blood work samples and discuss your nutrition and lifestyle choices.
Depending on your symptoms, several treatment options may be prescribed to you, including:
- bioidentical hormone therapy to manage severe hormone imbalance symptoms
- homeopathy or naturopathy to help balance your hormone levels using herbs and supplements
- yoga and tai chi for patients experiencing stress and anxiety
It's common for patients to participate in several forms of hormone imbalance therapy before they start to see an increase in overall wellness.
For more information about female hormone imbalances, contact Cary Disc Center at (847) 639-0010.