External Energy Therapy
Have you been experiencing chronic neck or lower back pain? Or feeling stressed and anxious of late and looking for a drug-free treatment method? An external energy therapy with us might be just what you need for overall wellness. Here’s what you should know about the different forms of external energy therapy for functional medicine.
What is External Energy Therapy?
External energy therapy is the practice of balancing the energy channels or fields that exist within the body in order to achieve wellness. Practitioners of external energy therapy believe that disruption or blockage in these energy channels will often result in the symptoms of illness or disease. There are several different kinds of energy therapies—some, like reiki and qigong, are ancient practices and have been used to treat chronic pain, stress, anxiety, and other somatic illnesses.
What Are the Different Types of External Energy Therapy?
There are two main forms of external energy therapy:
- Bioelectromagnetic-based therapies, which include the use of pulsed or alternating current electromagnetic fields to target symptoms of depression, stress, and pain. This includes Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulators (TENS), and Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF)
- Biofield therapies, which focus on healing the energy biofield that surrounds every human body. This includes therapeutic touch, reiki, and qigong
What Are the Benefits of External Energy Therapy?
As a drug-free and non-invasive form of functional medicine, external energy therapy offers multiple benefits to patients. It can:
- Reduce chronic and acute pain
- Treat symptoms of depression and anxiety
- Improve mobility, and help with pain associated with knee osteoarthritis
- Improve mood and emotional well-being
- Improve sleep
- Reduce fatigue, especially in patients undergoing chemotherapy
What to Expect During an External Energy Therapy Session
Your external energy therapy session will differ depending on the type of treatment that’s right for you. A certified practitioner at Cary Disc Center will begin your initial appointment by asking you a series of detailed health questions to get to know your complete health history, including your mental and emotional health. From there, the practitioner will recommend a form of external energy therapy that’s right for you.
Qigong, reiki, and therapeutic touch sessions typically last anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes in length. Bioelectromagnetic-based treatments occur in clinical settings and involve magnetic coils to send magnetic pulses to the affected parts of your body. These sessions typically last no more than 30 minutes. Patients of either form of external energy therapy report immediate results, but often prefer recurring appointments to maintain their levels of wellness.
For more information about external energy therapy, contact Cary Disc Center at (847) 639-0010.